• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

POLICE BLOTTER: Mysterious scam call

  • Wednesday, September 11, 2013

  • Updated Friday, October 4, 2013 7:09 am

 A Carvers Bay High School teacher was the apparent victim of a scam attempt.
On Sept. 4 and 5, the school received a call from someone claiming to be a law enforcement officer but the caller would not say for which agency he works when he spoke with office workers at the school.
The caller claimed the female teacher had warrants out for her arrest and was not allowed to be around students.
The teacher was questioned and said she had received a call the precious day from a man claiming to work for the S.C. Warrants Division. He told her she had warrants signed against her but the matter would be resolved if she wired $620 to him.
The number that showed up on the teacher’s phone was called by the Georgetown officer. He said it was a number commonly used in scams.
A woman answered the phone when the deputy called but became “extremely rude and irate.” She hung up on the deputy so there are no suspects.

 Accused of fondling

 A 38-year-old Sampit man is accused of molesting a 15-year-old girl who lives in his neighborhood.
It allegedly happened Sept. 4 after the girl refused to go to the man’s house to have sex.
After she told him no repeatedly, he reportedly stated rubbing her back and then began fondling her.
The girl pushed him away and he stopped.
He then asked her to not tell anyone what he had done.
The case is still being investigated.

Woman placed in kennel

 A 29-year-old woman called 911 from a home on Brandy Mill Way Road in Pawleys Island Aug. 30 saying she needed a ride to the bus station in Myrtle Beach so she could go back home to Tennessee.
She said she had been living with her boyfriend, also 29, but he assaulted her. She said he put her in a dog kennel, pulled her hair and “punched her 40 or more times.”
She said she did have bruising and thought her finger was broken. She waited four days before making the report, so the bruising was no longer visible.
The woman refused to sign a statement form. Due to the lack of evidence, no charges were filed.
The woman was escorted to the Greyhound station in Georgetown.

Man beats himself as a set up

A deputy was sent to the Brookwood Inn in Murrells Inlet Aug. 31 because of a domestic situation. When the deputy arrived, he saw the suspect – a 31-year-old man – walking towards him. He started questioning the man about what happened but the man kept looking at the victim – a 32-year-old Conway woman – and yelling at her.
The man said they were arguing and he left the room and she locked him out. He denied the woman’s claims that he had choked her and made threats towards her. He said she kicked him and was “acting crazy because of her hormones since she is pregnant with his child.”
The woman says the man started choking her when she told him she was leaving him.
She said he told her he would beat her if she called 911 and then “took off his shirt and came at her like a man.”
She claims the man then started punching himself in the head so he could blame her for the attack.
Because the man did not have a shirt on and since he seemed to be in a “fight mode” the deputy believed the woman’s version of events and placed the man under arrest.

 Jumped from a vehicle

A woman escaped serious injury after jumping from a vehicle on Ocean Highway in Pawleys Island at about 12:30 p.m. Sept. 2.
Deputies and EMS met the 23-year-old Summerville woman in the playground at St. Paul’s Methodist Church.
According to the report the man who was driving the vehicle got out and started screaming at the woman then drove away.
The woman claimed nothing happened and she just wanted to go home. She had multiple scrapes, mainly on her legs.
The woman said she has bipolar disorder and “was just upset” when she jumped from the car.
It could not be determined if an assault occurred because the woman did not give much information.
The church said they would pay to put the woman in a hotel for the night. Her mother was expected to get her the following day.

Andrews officer, suspect exchange gunfire

An Andrews police officer — whose name was redacted from the report — was on patrol at about 1:45 a.m. Saturday when he got out to see what was going on with two females and a 21-year-old man who were on the corner of South Beech and West Main Streets.
The officer says the three were drinking in public and he noticed the smell of marijuana.
When the man was asked for his ID, he took off running inside Blues Club.
The officer, along with another member of the police force began chasing the suspect.
He ran out the back door of the club and across Main Street.
Once reaching a nearby field, the suspect turned around and fired three shots at the officers, the report states.
The officers took cover and fired eight shots at the suspect. No one was hit by any of the bullets.
The Sheriff’s Office dog team was called and helped with the search for the suspect but he was not caught.
Andrews Police Chief Joseph Cooper says the suspect has been identified as Keenan Kumaine Hurell of 163 Downing Loop.
He asks anyone who may know where Hurell may be to call Andrews Police at 264-8666.

Robbers offered dip

A 51-year-old Georgetown man said he was walking down Gapway Road near Andrews at about 1:30 a.m. Monday when two men in a car stopped and got out.
They asked the man if he had any money, he said no but they continued to demand cash.
The got mad and started pushing him and searching his pockets.
“He replied ‘I only have chewing dip if you want that,’” the report states.
The man said the men then left the area. He said he was not hurt.

Partying guardsmen

A deputy was sent to the Midway Fire station on St. Paul Place in Pawleys Island at about 5:30 a.m. Aug., 30. He met with the assistant fire chief who said they allowed four Army National Guardsmen to sleep at the station since they were in the area on annual training orders.
The four reportedly went out drinking and had a female with them when they returned to the station.
The complainant said other firemen at the station “heard a woman’s voice moaning.”
When the four were asked to leave by the assistant chief, one of them started to argue with him.
The deputy talked to the soldiers and told them they were no longer welcome at the station.
“I advised the soldiers this incident was not criminal but unethical,” the report states.
The men left and a cab was called to take the woman back to her house.

$20,000 taken from bait shop

A 30-year-old man is accused of stealing as much as $20,000 from Perry’s Bait and Tackle in Murrells Inlet.
According to the complainant, the man is her ex-boyfriend and has been taking money from the cash register since early July.
The woman said she has not personally seen him take cash but other workers have said they have seen it take place.
The case is being investigated.

Dog-gone theft

A woman from the 100 block of West Gapway Road in Andrews said she put her puppy in a kennel outside her house the night of Aug. 29 because it was whining.
She put a sheet over the kennel, so no one would see what was under it.
When she went out the next morning, the pit bull puppy and the kennel were gone.
The sheet was left in the middle of the road.
No one knows who may have taken the dog.

Former cop unaware
of the law

 A 46-year-old Murrells Inlet man is accused of causing a disturbance at the pool on Winding River Road in Murrells Inlet Aug. 25.
The man was apparently upset when his children were not allowed in the pool because their key card did not work.
The man reportedly started yelling profanity at a 69-year-old man and 64-year-old woman.
He also took photos of their vehicles and said he knew where they live and they do not know who they are messing with.
When questioned by the deputy, the suspect admitted everything.
He said he is a former police officer and was unaware there is a law about taking pictures and cussing people.
The deputy told him he could be charged with disorderly conduct.
He was ordered to stay away from the couple and away from the pool until his key card problem is fixed.

Man accused of raping and impregnating cousin

 A 33-year-old woman says she was raped by her 46-year-old cousin and is now pregnant as a result.
The woman said the attack occurred in May after she left her grandmother’s house. She said she stopped at Georgetown County home of her uncle to sleep for a while before driving home.
She said while she was asleep, her cousin entered the room and she woke up to find him sexually assaulting her.
The woman said she was in shock but attempted to fight him off. He completed the act then grabbed some cash from his pants and threw it to her telling her to keep quiet.
The woman said she refused to take the money.
The woman said some time after the incident, another relative told her “I am sorry. You are not the first one. Go pursue charges on him.”
The Sheriff’s Office says the case is still being investigated. As of Tuesday no charges had been filed.

Still blocking the road

An 81-year-old man who has had several run-ins with authorities because he blocks the road on which he lives, allegedly did it again.
When a deputy arrived in Meria Drive in the North Santee area Aug. 28, the suspect was blocking the road with a red Nissan. There were other vehicles — including a school bus — trying to turn on the road.
The man claims it is a private road and therefore he says it cannot be used by the public.
He has been ordered by a judge previously to stop blocking the road. Since he failed to follow the order, he was arrested.

Woman assaulted,
held against her will

A 24-year-old woman called 911 Aug. 28 because the man she lives with, also 24-years-old, allegedly assaulted her and held her against her will.
The woman – described by the deputy as being intoxicated – met the officer at the intersection of Pendergrass and First Street in Murrells Inlet.
She said the man was acting aggressive towards her and when she tried to leave he grabbed her preventing her from escaping.
She said he hit her so she hit him back.
The man gave a different story, saying he tried to prevent her from leaving because she was going to purchase drugs.
He had some minor cuts on his face.
The woman had no visible injury.
Because the deputy could not determine who started the altercation, he placed both of them under arrest for simple assault.
“Bloody pulp” threat

A 23-year-old Murrells Inlet woman said she received a call on her cell phone Aug. 27 from a Georgetown woman who threatened to “beat her to a bloody pulp.”
The victim said she has had altercations with the woman in the past but has not reported those incidents.
Because the call was on a speaker phone, the victim’s father heard what was said and backed up his daughter’s claim.
The woman said she did want to press charges.

 Thousands stolen

 A man from the 100 block of Voyager’s Drive in Pawleys Island reported $3,000 was stolen from his house.
The man said he had the money stashed in two different locations and the only person who knew about the cash was his fiancée.
There were no signs of forced entry to the home.
Crab theft

 On Aug. 24, a cashier at Murrells Inlet Seafood reported a man walked in the business and grabbed someone else’s and fled.
The man – who left in a white Dodge truck – took an order of 24 steamed blue crabs.
When the man walked in the business he claimed he was with the party that placed the order.
The cashier then ran the credit card that had been given to her over the phone when the order was placed.
The man signed the receipt and left. It was not until after he was gone that it was discovered he was not with the family that placed the order.
The restaurant made good on the order that was placed.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.
—Compiled by Scott Harper



Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.