Police Blotter: Two urine soaked babies left alone

  • Wednesday, July 17, 2013


A deputy was dispatched to Norma Drive in Murrells Inlet July 5 to meet with a DSS worker who was investigating a family situation.
The DSS worker said the mother of a child had been admitted to the hospital for heroin use and the child’s father — 28-year-old Damon Cottrell — was also a known heroin user, the report states.
The case worker said when she arrived at the home there was no one there so she contacted the child’s father by phone.
He claimed he was in Horry County and the child was at a daycare.
However, about two hours later the DSS worker received a call from another family member who said Cottrell had been arrested in Horry for leaving the 2-year-old child in a car with the motor running while he was in a store.
It was also discovered by the family member the man’s 7-month-old child had been left home alone. The relative made entry to the house by climbing in a window and found the baby inside covered in urine and feces.
The baby had been left alone for at least three hours.
The DSS worker said the 2-year-old who had been left in the car was also covered in urine.
Cottrell, according to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center, was charged with unlawful neglect of a child. He was released on July 10 under a $1,000 bond.
On July 10, Cottrell was arrested on the Georgetown County charges and was placed under a $10,000 bond. He remained in jail Wednesday morning.

Not the party she
was expecting

A 30-year-old woman from Holly Hill — a dancer at a Charleston strip club — said she met a man a few weeks ago who convinced her to perform at a party for her uncle.
She was told she would be paid $500 for a 45 minute to one hour performance.
On Saturday the man met the woman and drove her to a house in the Dunbar community where the party was supposedly taking place.
She said she was forced to stay in the truck for about two hours then when she finally was allowed in the house there was no party.
She was met my a man who was holding a condom in one hand and started rubbing her back with the other.
The man propositioned the woman asking for sexual favors.
She said no and walked out the door and started walking down the street.
The men then drove up to her in their car and said they would take her back home.
When she got into the car the men started assaulting her and continued to proposition her.
When they realized she was not going to give in, they stole money from her purse and her cell phone then kicked her out of the car.
The woman walked to a house on Dunbar Road and the residence called 911.
The case was turned over to investigators.

Baby burned
in the bathtub

The Andrews Police are continuing to investigate how a one-year-old baby girl received severe burns while in a bathtub  Saturday morning.
Police were sent to a home at about 11:15 a.m. Saturday.  The address has been redacted from the report.
Police spoke with a 17-year-old who said she placed the baby in a cool tub of water to give her a bath.
She said “three minutes later she heard the (baby) scream.
That’s when she rushed back to the bathroom to find the (baby) turned on the hot water causing it to burn her bottom, lower back area and face,” the report states.
The baby’s mother was at work when the incident took place.
The baby was transported to the Medical University of South Carolina for treatment.

Bilingual dog bites
owner on the face, hand

A deputy was sent to Waccamaw Community Hospital July 10. He met with a man from Lomax Court whose dog bit him on the face.
The man said the German shepherd — used in competitions — started having what appeared to be a seizure. He placed the dog in the back seat of his car to take him to the vet.
While en route, the dog jumped up and bit him on the left side of his face.
The man pulled over and tried to get the dog out of the car and the dog then bit him on the left hand.
The dog broke free and ran down Wachesaw Road. A search was conducted but the pet was not found as of the time the report was written.
The owner says the dog understands both English and German commands.

Burglar leaves evidence

A woman  the 100 block of Green Acres Drive reported someone broke into her home July 4.
The woman said she returned home around 10 p.m. and saw her back door was open.
She said three VCRs were stolen and boxes in her bedroom had been rummaged through.
A flashlight that does not belong to the woman was found on the kitchen table. It was bagged and taken to be dusted for fingerprints.

117 mph

While running radar between the bridges on Highway 17 just north of the Georgetown city limits Sunday night, a deputy clocked a motorcycle being driven into town at 117 mph.
The deputy attempted a traffic stop but the driver did not stop. The officer gave chase for a short distance but was told by his supervisor to terminate the pursuit at 5 Points.
The deputy did not get close enough to the motorcycle to get a license tag number.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.—
Compiled by
Scott Harpe

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.