Quantcast

Hospital: Child’s letter prompts update on construction

  • Wednesday, July 10, 2013


Scott Harper/Times
Georgetowm Memorial Hospital is undergoing remodeling and expansion which costs about $22 million.

Ideas for news stories can come from just about anywhere.
Meetings, telephone calls, emails, snail mail, court documents police scanners. And the list goes on and on.
This story, however, was sparked by a letter to the editor. What made this letter stand out is that it was written by a 7-year-old from the Rose Hill area of Georgetown County.
In  the letter — handwritten in pencil — received last week, Camper Dickinson states “Dear Georgetown Hospital, what is happening to your hospital? Remodeling it? Are you taking it down? Are we going to get a new hospital?”
We submitted Dickinson’s questions to hospital officials. The answer to one of the questions is “yes.” The hospital is undergoing remodeling and expansion.
The answer to the final question is “no.” A new hospital is not being built.
As for what is happening to the hospital, Georgetown Hospital System Marketing Communications Director Margaret Lamb answered that question.
She said this is the first phase of renovation work which began earlier this year and is on track.
“Announced in late fall, plans call for a second-floor nursing unit to be renovated and for the hospital’s main entrance to be relocated from Black River Road to Memorial Lane. The first floor “mall” area also will be reoriented, providing a new traffic flow pattern that will improve patient access and convenience for outpatient services,” Lamb states. “The 63-year-old building also is getting a new roof, new heating and cooling systems and a new exterior surface.”
In February, the Georgetown Times was told the first phase work will cost about $22 million.
Once Phase I of the project is complete, the GHS Board of Trustees will meet to consider Phase II.

By Scott Harper
sharper@gtowntimes.com

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705