Three houses in the city facing demolition

  • Monday, April 15, 2013

  • Updated Monday, September 23, 2013 11:09 am

This house on Merriman Road is one of three that may soon be torn down by the city.

Three more houses in the City of Georgetown may be demolished very soon.
The City of Georgetown’s Construction Board of Appeals meets April 22 to consider a recommendation from Building and Zoning staff that the three houses be torn down.
One of the houses, located at 240 South Hazard Street is owned by Sam Bonds. In February, City Council gave staff approval to move forward with the demolition process.
City building official Ricky Martin said he inspected the home and found it had been involved in a fire which caused the center of the home to become compromised.
There is a good possibility the structure could not be brought up to city building codes, Martin states in his written recommendation for demolition.
Another house under demolition consideration is at 712 North Merriman Road.
Janet Grant, the city’s code enforcement officer, said that house — owned by Minnie Shubrick — “is in the condition where it may endanger life or health.”
The third house is located at 2012 Emanuel Street and is owned by Martha Rhue.
Martin said there has been some conversations with family members to see if any of the house can be saved. However, Martin says because of the condition of the house it would be unsafe for anyone trying to make repairs.
Martin said he has $59,000 in a budget that can be used to tear down such structures when the owners will not or cannot do it themselves.
For the city to do it, the process can be long and tedious. If the Construction Board gives permission for the demolitions, the property owners can appeal. If that happens, the matter could get tied up in Circuit Court.
  Martin said there are 110 structures on the list that need to be demolished. Ten have been taken down so far this year.

By Scott Harper
sharper@gtowntimes.com


Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

Upcoming Events
Poll
 Latest News
Print Ads
Latest Videos


South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705

ERROR: Macro ox-adUnits is missing!