North Santee home catches fire; Woman saved from roof

  • Friday, April 12, 2013

The ladder can be seen next to the roof where a North Santee woman stayed until help arrived after a fire started in a downstairs living room.

A woman and her house were both saved after a fire in the North Santee Community Friday morning.
The woman, who was visibly upset and did not want to comment, was asleep in her two-story home at 507 Corner Loop near Mount Zion Road at about 10:40 a.m.
Her smoke alarms sounded, which woke her up.
Upon seeing the upstairs bedroom she was in was filling with smoke, she climbed out of the window but was stuck on the roof.
Her aunt, who lives next door, grabbed a ladder but it was too short.
County firefighter David Horton was the first to arrive on the scene and was able to use a ladder from the fire truck to get the woman to safety.
He said it was his first-ever rescue.
"It made me feel good I was able to do it," Horton said.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly and damage to the house was contained to a portion of the downstairs living room where the fire started, said County Assistant Fire Chief Tony Hucks.
He said it appears the fire started in a pile of clothing that had been left on a drop cord.
Hucks said this incident shows the importance of having functional smoke detectors in a home.

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.