Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Dwaine Johnson Jr. is back in custody after nearly a week of freedom when he was mistakenly released from prison.
Georgetown Police Capt. Nelson Brown says Johnson was arrested by State and Local Officials last night at a residence in the 1800 block of Prince Street. He is back in the custody of the South Carolina Department of Corrections.
Johnson was supposed to remain incarcerated at least until he stands trial for the 2011 shootings of two Georgetown restaurant owners.
But last week, he was mistakenly released from Kirkland Reception and Evaluation Center on Broad River Road in Columbia and, as of late Tuesday, he remained on the run, according to South Carolina Department of Corrections spokesman Clark Newsome.
Johnson is one of two people charged in connection with the Aug. 24, 2011 shooting and robbery of Szechuan Restaurant owners Kwok “Daniel” Chung and Rui Mei Dong.
Jerome Greene, 20, is also charged.
Brown said Johnson was the trigger man in the shooting which the victims survived.
Brown said one of the bullets struck Chung in the chest area. Johnson allegedly shot Dong in the back as she was trying to run out of the room where the robbery was taking place.
Johnson was being detained in Georgetown until earlier this year when he was sentenced for throwing urine on a Georgetown County Detention Center officer in December.
He was then sent to Kirkland to serve the sentence for the assault on the officer and was supposed to be returned to the Georgetown County jail to await trial for the shootings.
Newsome said Tuesday the events surrounding Johnson’s release are still being investigated. The amount of time that passed between Johnson’s release and the time the mistake was noticed has not been disclosed.
Brown said investigators will meet later today to determine if anyone will be charged with helping Johnson after his release.
The U.S. Marshal's Service, SLED, S.C. Probation and Parole, S.C. Department of Corrections and the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office worked together on the search for Johnson.
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.