Coroner: Murder victim suffered head and neck injuries; Both suspects in custody (Updated 6:05 p.m.)

  • Saturday, February 9, 2013


Two people are in jail and another is dead after an attack at a Pawleys Island bar this morning.
The Sheriff's Office reports 41-year-old Ronnie Gene Ackley, Jr. of Pawleys Island is charged with murder and a second suspect, 37-year-old Chris Brian Campbell, was arrested late Saturday on the same charge.
The businesses Facebook page identifies Ackley as part of the culinary team.
Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Carrie Cuthbertson said 37-year-old Thomas Edward Unrue, Jr. of Georgetown died as a result of the incident.
She said deputies were called to the bar at  9259 Ocean Highway at about 3 a.m. because of a fight in progress.
"Upon arrival, the victim was found in the parking lot unresponsive. When the responding sheriff’s deputy checked the victim for vitals, it was determined CPR was needed. Once CPR began, it was continued until EMS arrived and transported the victim to the Georgetown Memorial Hospital where he was later pronounced dead," Cuthbertson said. "After interviewing multiple witnesses, it was determined the victim was asked to leave the establishment on more than one occasion which led to a verbal dispute just outside the front door. The verbal altercation led to a physical altercation out in the parking lot where Campbell and Ackley attacked the victim until he was unconscious."
Coroner Kenny Johnson said an autopsy conducted Saturday afternoon confirmed Unrue suffered head and neck inures but the official cause of death is pending further testing.
A witness who asked to not be named for safety reasons told the Georgetown Times Campbell  Campbell was "repeatedly beating, jumping on, and kicking (Unrue) while screaming he wanted to kill him."
Ackley was arrested on scene and transported to the Georgetown County Detention Center where he is awaiting a bond hearing.
Lexington City Police Officers surrounded Campbell’s residence in Lexington and advised him to exit. Campbell was taken into custody without incident. Campbell will remain in their custody until he is transported to the Georgetown County Detention Center, Cuthbertson said.

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.