Couple charged in connection with death of young daughter (New Information)

  • Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sheila Hendley

A Georgetown man and his girlfriend were arrested Wednesday night in connection with the death of their 2-year-old daughter.
According to the Georgetown County Detention Center records, Nicholas Clark, 22, and Sheila Hendley, 21, remained in jail Thursday night.
The toddler — 2-year-old Lucy Rose Clark — was injured at her family’s home while they were living in Mooresville, N.C. on March 15, 2012. She died that same night at a hospital.
A Mooresville police spokesman confirmed to the Georgetown Times the murder charges were in connection with the child’s death.
Capt. J.A. Cooke said after officers were called to the home to assist EMS, they “began investigating the circumstances” of how the toddler received her injuries.
No other official details about how the child died have been released.
Cooke said the autopsy results have been ordered sealed by the court and remain sealed.
Clark told the Georgetown Times recently that he and Hendley are not responsible for their daughter’s death.
Nichole Lee, grandmother of the deceased child, said her son, Clark, told her he was home with the children when Lucy fell off a bed.
Clark told the Georgetown Times he did not do anything to cause his child to die. He said he called for help and his daughter died at a hospital.
Lee said she received a call at about 7:15 a.m. Thursday informing her about the arrests.
“It took me off guard. [Clark] kept telling me ‘momma we didn’t do anything.’ You know you want to find the good in everybody. I was shocked,” Lee said.
Clark and Hendley have another daughter, 4-year-old Dixie Clark who is now with a foster family in Mooresville.
Both Clark and Hendley are charged with abusing that child as well.
Cooke said the couple is officially charged with one count of first degree murder and two counts of felony child abuse.
They will remain in the Georgetown County jail until an extradition hearing is held.
The Georgetown Times reported on Lucy’s death last month in an article about Lee’s fight to gain custody of Dixie.
The foster family with whom Dixie is staying is trying to adopt her. A final adoption hearing is tentatively scheduled to take place in April.
However, Lee said she is hoping the arrests will help her in her quest to be awarded custody. She said one thing DSS told her they were concerned about was Dixie being around her parents.
“Now we know she will not be around them. We can’t run into them because they are in jail,” Lee said.
Clark told the Georgetown Times last month, even though he and Hendley signed away their parental rights, he would like to see his daughter placed in the custody of Lee.

By Scott Harper

Latest Videos
Friends to Follow
News from Twitter

South Strand News

© 2016 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.