• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Rothrock appointed to city’s Architectural Review Board

  • Wednesday, June 26, 2013

  • Updated Monday, September 23, 2013 11:15 am

A woman who has been a plaintiff in lawsuits against the City of Georgetown and the members of the Architectural Review Board is now herself a member of the ARB.
Georgetown City Council on Thursday unanimously approved Jean Rothrock as a member of the ARB — a position she has applied for more than once.
Rothrock, owner of Waccamaw Landscaping, addressed council Thursday saying the culture of the ARB is broken.
“Property rights are our rights,” she said, adding decisions made by the ARB “should be based on guidelines, not personal opinions.”
The day after the appointment was approved, ARB member Rene King submitted a letter of resignation from the board.
In the letter, King states he “remains passionate about the importance of historic preservation for Georgetown’s future vitality.” He continues by stating he “does not believe the city leadership supports or recognizes this significance.”
King was not one of the ARB members named in a lawsuit filed by Jean Rothrock and her husband, Steve, that was settled last year. The defendants in the suit were City Councilman Paige Sawyer, former ARB members Debbie Thomas, Joseph Cave, Brian Clark and Jan Lane.
The Rothrocks filed the lawsuit after several attempts to get the ARB to approve the placement of HardiePlank on three sides of their house at 116 Cannon Street.
“The board made a very wise decision and I believe this is the start of something good for Georgetown,” Steve Rothrock said after the vote.
Also on Thursday, John Kester, Sandra Quinn and Brenda Bessinger were appointed to the Board of Zoning Appeals; Paul Smith was appointed to the City Planning Commission and Kisha Gamble was appointed to the Community Appearance Board.

By Scott Harper
sharper@gtowntimes.com

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.



South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705