• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

Opposition to filming TV “reality” show growing

  • Friday, August 9, 2013

  • Updated Monday, September 23, 2013 11:31 am

MURRELLS INLET S.C. — While few people have overtly come out in favor of the reality show filming in a Murrells Inlet vacation rental home, opposition is growing to the antics of the cast both online and in real time.
A Facebook page — “We ‘Just Said NO’ to the Dirty South” — established on Tuesday, had already garnered 1,430  comments and likes by 3 p.m. Thursday.
On Wednesday, Murrells Inlet 2020 passed a motion against the filming and at least one family and one individual have expressed serious reservations about the behavior of the cast.
A woman who asked that her name be withheld — we’ll call her Tina — said that she had gone to Wicked Tuna and cast members were eating there. One of the men grabbed her arm and started using profanity.
“I was upset and a little nervous,” Tina said. ”I respect the Marsh Walk and the Inlet. I don’t like language like that.”
Tina said she tried to explain about the Marsh Walk as she and cast members went from Wicked Tuna to the end of the Marsh Walk near Bovines. “They were doing shots, they were drinking at every restaurant.”
Tina said she tried to explain about the places along the Marsh Walk like Bubba’s Love Shak and Goat Island. But each time she tried to explain, she was met by more profanity and words that can’t be printed in a family newspaper.
Calls to the Wicked Tuna and the production company were not returned.
The language from the cast has Warren Stedman upset as well. He brought his concerns to the MI 2020 board meeting.
“I just want to let y’all know how I feel about it and how it has affected my life,” said Stedman, whose property abuts Kings Krest, the main house where the cast lives and where filming is going on.
Stedman said he is on medication for high blood pressure and he has had to double his medication.
“It’s really upset my family and I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what to do,” he said.
“The noise over there on Saturday and Sunday night was so bad I had to call the sheriff. It’s here. I don’t think we can get rid of it right now, but my biggest fear is that they will come back. That’s their job. They will want to come back.
“I feel like I am by myself on this,” Stedman said. “They are giving these characters — they are not actors — money to buy booze.”
Stedman said he had met with County Administrator Sel Hemingway and county Planning director Boyd Johnson and was told there wasn’t anything they could do.
Stedman said he had talked to the church, and no one was for it. “I don’t know what you can do, but hopefully you can do something and get something done. This is not what Murrells Inlet is about.”
Stedman said he had filed a request with the Zoning Board of Appeals, and that he wanted support when he went to the Georgetown County Council meeting on Tuesday night. “If there could be support from this group …”
The board resolution stated “that MI2020 does not endorse the filming currently underway in our community. MI2020 strives to make the Inlet a nice place to live, work and visit. We give very careful consideration to how we brand the Inlet. We do not find this venture compatible with our vision, mission or goals for the Inlet.” 
Carrie Cuthbertson, public information officer for the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office, wrote in an e-mail Thursday that “Assistant Sheriff Carter Weaver has met with 495 Productions on several occasions since the beginning of July. The topics of the meetings pertained to state and local laws.”
Cuthbertson did not answer a question about whether any complaints had been filed with the Sheriff’s Office.

By Anita Crone
For The Times

Comments

Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.



South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.
150-02-88705