Friday, August 17, 2012
The filing period ended today for people wanting to run for five expiring seats on the Georgetown County School Board.
It was also the deadline for the County Voter Registration Office to verify the signatures turned in by candidates running for office as petition candidates.
As a result, the following are the contested matchups for local offices that will be on the November ballot:
• Auditor: Petition candidates Kathy Harrelson and Rod Stalvey will face Republican Brian Shult.
• School Board District 3: Incumbent Sandra Johnson faces newcomer Gene Footman.
• School Board District 5: Incumbent Elery Little faces newcomer Murray Vernon.
• School Board District 6: Newcomer Richard Kerr faces newcomer Peggy Wheeler-Cribb.
Note: School Board members Sarah Elliott (District 1) and Zelma Carr (District 4) are running unopposed. The school board hold non-partisan elections.
• S.C. House Seat 103: Democrat incumbent Carl Anderson faces petition candidate Tom Winslow.
• Georgetown County Council District 5: Petition candidates Ben Dunn and Bubba Grimes face Republican incumbent Austin Beard.
Note: County Council members Ron Charlton (District 2), Leona Tiger Miller (District 3) and Lillie Jean Johnson (District 4) are running unopposed.
• Sheriff: Republican incumbent Lane Cribb faces Democrat newcomer Darryel Carr.
• Treasurer: Democrat incumbent Lorretta Washington-Cooper faces petition candidate Mike Andrews.
• Clerk of Court: Democrat incumbent Alma White faces petition candidate Tammie Avant.