Friday, February 8, 2013
Tim Connolly is hoping the second time is the charm in his quest to have a Highmarket Street home he owns demolished.
The City of Georgetown’s Architectural Review Board in December denied the request to allow the 717 Highmarket Street home to be torn down.
Connolly filed an appeal in Circuit Court but also requested a rehearing on the matter from the ARB.
On Monday night, the ARB agreed to rehear Connolly’s request.
That hearing will take place within the next two months.
In exchange, Connolly agreed to dismiss his appeal in court with prejudice.
That means if the ARB once again denies his demolition request, Connolly can refile his appeal in court but can base that appeal only on what takes place at the upcoming hearing. Nothing from previous hearings will be allowed in the appeal.
In an affidavit presented to the ARB members during Monday’s meeting by Connolly’s attorney, Douglas Thornton, Connolly said he deserves a rehearing because — at the urging of the city — evidence was not presented during the December meeting.
Connolly, in the affidavit, says he and his architect, Dwayne Vernon, met with Janet Grant, the city’s code enforcement officer.
He said Grant advised him “to not submit any evidence or information” which had previously been presented on behalf of his company, Original Colony Builders, LLC.
Grant also advised Connolly not to speak at the December meeting because “things will go better for you if you let Mr. Vernon handle it,” Connolly says.
Based on that advice, Connolly did not present evidence he had collected such as a structural engineering report or wood infestation report.
That evidence will be presented at the upcoming hearing.
Connolly says the house is in such disrepair, it would cost much more to restore than he could get if he repaired and resold the house.
He said he wants to tear the house down and build two new houses on the property.
By Scott Harper
South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.