• Georgetown Times
  • Waccamaw Times
  • Inlet Outlook

POLICE BLOTTER: Civil War bomb found

  • Friday, May 10, 2013

  • Updated Monday, September 23, 2013 11:11 am

Georgetown County deputies, the Horry County Bomb Squad and the Air Force all got involved after an explosive device was found in the Plantersville area.
A man said he found the bomb on his property on Fyfee Court May 3.
The man said he contacted three different museums and it was determined the find was a Civil War era 30 pound Parrot Round.
The man said he was told if the device still contained a white powder on the tip, it was still a live round.
That is when he called 911.
County deputies contacted the Horry County Bomb Squad.
When they arrived, they decided to call the Air Force.
Military officials responded and took possession of the explosive to be disposed of at a later time.

Chase and crash

A 29-year-old Myrtle Beach man led a Highway Patrol trooper and county deputies on a high speed chase through the Waccamaw Neck at about 2:15 a.m. May 5.
The incident began when the trooper started following the van being driven by the suspect on Highway 17 Bypass in Murrells Inlet.
The driver was making erratic lane changes, so the trooper activated his blue lights.
The driver did not stop and a chase began which reached speeds near 110 mph.
A deputy in the area also joined in to assist the trooper.
The chase continued south on Highway 17 until they reached the area near Hog Heaven between Pawleys Island and Georgetown.
That is when the suspect lost control of the van, crossed over both lanes of traffic and flipped the vehicle several times.
The driver survived but was injured. He was in the van alone.
EMS was called to the scene.
It was discovered the suspect’s van struck a taxi during the chase.

More burglaries reported

Deputies were sent to the 800 block of West Virginia Road Tuesday because of a burglary
The homeowners said they left their residence at about 10:30 a.m. and when they returned about three hours later they discovered the break-in.
Deputies were told a side door that had not been open for years was ajar.
A 52-inch flat screen TV and a revolver were taken.
That same day a burglary was reported in the 4700 block of South Fraser Street.
A woman said she returned home and noticed her door was not locked and had been kicked in.
Her 28-inch flat screen TV was missing from her living room. Also taken  was a collector’s set of browning knives.
Another woman who lives at that residence said she was missing a laptop computer.
There are no suspects in the burglaries.

Theft from The Y

A Georgetown man reported his wallet was stolen from The YMCA on Browns Ferry Road May 4.
The man told a deputy he left the wallet in a locked locker while he went for a swim.
After his swim he discovered the wallet was gone and the lock was in another room.
A worker said while the victim was swimming a man and woman stopped by and asked for a tour of the building.
The man, after the tour, asked if he could use the locker room to change into some gym shorts he was holding.
A few minutes later, the man walked out of the locker room.
He had not changed clothes.
The couple then left and never returned.
Before the victim could place a stop on the cards that were in the wallet, the suspects had made charges at a gas station, Walmart, The Game Stop, CVS in Pawleys Island and rented a movie from a Redbox.
Police visited The Game Stop and were told the couple bought $200 worth of gift cards.
About an hour later the woman returned trying to get cash for the cards.
When  the woman was told she could not get cash, she left the store.
The woman did give the store an ID which indicates she is a 24-year-old from Crescent Springs, Ky.

Pendant gone

A pendant worth $2,000 was reportedly stolen from a residence on Coward Court in Murrells Inlet.
The owner said she last saw the pendant in mid-April.
She said it is over 100 years old and belonged to her mother. It is shaped like a leaf and has the word ‘mother’ engraved.
“The victim thinks someone came inside her house and took it,” the report states.
Nothing else was reported missing.
The woman said she was hesitant to file a report because she did not want to be a burden to law enforcement.

Information is subject to change as the investigation proceeds. Individuals arrested and/or charged have not been convicted.
— Compiled by Scott Harper


Notice about comments:

South Strand News is pleased to offer readers the enhanced ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. We do not edit user submitted statements and we cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not South Strand News.

If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Read our full terms and conditions.

South Strand News

© 2014 South Strand News an Evening Post Industries company. All Rights Reserved.

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Parental Consent Form.